Leander started life as a community called Bagdad– situated a mile west of what was soon to become Leander. Bagdad was bypassed by the railroad and also as merchants relocated to the tracks, a brand-new name was required. Thankful for a connection with the outside world, individuals picked railroad main Leander Brown as the town’s namesake.
Great deals took place sale in July of 1882. The Masons constructed their regional lodge to accommodate the regional schoolchildren up until 1899 when a senior high school was constructed– financed by the marketing of stock. Leander was content living in loved one seclusion through the late 1960s. Austinites viewed the community as breathing space and also communities began showing up. Now included in the Greater Austin area, Leander’s populace increased from 3,400 in 1990 to 7,600 by the 2000 census. In 2007, the populace estimate was 23,523.